The Old Fort Board of Aldermen offered condolences shooting victims in Las Vegas during Monday’s meeting.
According to Alderman Andrew Carlton, he has spoken on two separate occasions to Las Vegas Mayor Protem Lois Tarkanian and offered thoughts and prayers on behalf of the board to the victims of last Sunday’s mass shooting, in which 59 people were killed and nearly 500 were injured in an outdoor country music festival on the strip.
“She’s asked that we keep them in our prayers, along with their family members,” said Carlton. “Their biggest problem right now is providing security for people’s families from the media. The media is bombarding the victim’s families and they’re having a difficult time providing safety.”
In other business:
• There were no public comments
• In old business, the aldermen confirmed that the state has approved everything that would be listed under the town’s recent revitalization grant. According to Hensley, beautification projects will commence once the money arrives.
• Trunk-or-treat in Old Fort will be held Halloween night on North Railroad Street, with the road closing after 5 p.m. for public safety. All welcomed businesses and citizens must contact Town Hall if they plan on attending and passing out candy in order to accommodate needs.
• The Old Fort Christmas lighting ceremony will be held Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. at the Depot.
• In new business, the board is holding a Meet the Candidates forum for the upcoming town election on Saturday, Oct. 28 at 6 p.m. at the Depot. The Q&A session will be moderated by Terry Wilson. Refreshments will be served.
The next Board of Aldermen meeting is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 13 at 5:30 p.m.