A hay barn and log truck were lost in an accidental fire in Old Fort on Tuesday.

At approximately 1:13 p.m. Tuesday, emergency units responded to 2017 Greenlee Road in Old Fort after receiving a call regarding a structure fire in progress.

Upon arrival, units worked to extinguish a hay barn, owned by Coy Jeans of Old Fort, that had caught fire.

According to Old Fort Assistant Fire Chief Travis Piercy, the fire, which was deemed unintentional, originated from a chain saw that malfunctioned and backfired, setting fire to nearby grass around the barn.

“The fire got into the hay in the barn and just went from there,” said Piercy.

The barn and a log truck sitting in the structure were destroyed, according to Piercy. A monetary value has yet to be determined. No injuries were reported in the fire.

Old Fort, P.G., Sugar Hill-Montford Cove and Crooked Creek Fire Departments, McDowell EMS, McDowell Rescue Squad and Emergency Management responded to the fire.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.