Two homes in McDowell were damaged by back-to-back fires early Sunday morning, according to reports.
At approximately 7:54 a.m., emergency units responded to 235 Yancey Road after receiving a call to a single story structure fire taking place.
Marion, Nebo and Hankins fire departments, McDowell EMS and McDowell Rescue Squad responded to the call.
According to Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal, the older model home – owned by Michael Lewis of Marion – was deemed a total loss after what is believed to be an electrical fire from the occupant recharging a battery on the front porch. According to tax records, the home is valued between $35,000 and $36,000.
Responding agencies were on scene for approximately two hours fighting the blaze.
Along with the home, two vehicles – a 2001 Chevy Prizm and a 2001 Volkswagen Eurovan – were damaged in the fire as well.
According to Neal, no injuries were reported in this case.
Eight minutes after the first call went out, emergency units from P.G., Old Fort and Crooked Creek fire departments, McDowell EMS and Rescue were notified of another structure fire taking place at 113 Ruby B. Drive off A B Elliot Road.
According to P.G. Assistant Fire Chief Danny Killough, arriving agencies saw heavy smoke coming from the single story mobile home, owned by Stacy Ashley Wright of Marion.
The fire, which is believed to have been caused by an overturned propane heater, was contained within minutes and the occupants were able to escape without injury. According to Killough, the home, valued at $14,630, suffered 25 percent fire damage and 100 percent smoke damage, resulting in a $5,000 loss.
The American Red Cross were notified and helped in both incidents.