IMAGE: Weekend fire at Marion apartment

At approximately 5:37 p.m. Friday, emergency units responded to Heritage Hill Apartments in Marion in response to a structure fire in progress. According to Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal, the blaze, which was contained to a storage closet on the property, started due to smoking materials dropped in or around the carpet of the doorway, resulting in $5,000-10,000 in damages. No injuries were reported and surrounding apartments suffered only smoke damage. The American Red Cross was notified following the incident, according to Neal.


Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.