The Old Fort Board of Aldermen held a special meeting Thursday evening to discuss new roofing bids, the Rockett building, Andrews Geyser and a new railroad crossing.
In new business, the board agreed to relocate a railroad crossing behind the Old Fire Department. The town of Old Fort wants to coordinate with the railroad on putting in more parking spaces to go further down behind the fire department.
According to the minutes from the meeting, there is a water line that runs under the railroad where the new crossing is going. Alderman Charlie Pyles is going to work with the maintenance supervisor about eliminating the line that goes under the railroad. The town said they have a 10-foot line behind the fire department that the water line can be tied into.
In other business:
• The board received two bids on a new copier. Alderman Melvin Lytle made a motion to lease the copier from Xerox. The board approved the motion unanimously.
• The Budget Committee has been speaking with other banks on what they would charge the town as compared to what BB&T is charging. Lytle made the motion to change to Asheville Savings Bank. The board approved the motion unanimously.
• ICS gave a price on a new server for Town Hall in the amount of $7,676.90. Lytle made the motion to purchase the server. The board approved the motion unanimously.
• The board has decided to take other bids to remove the old roof at the police department, replace all rotten rafters and put a new roof on. Pyles is to meet with a construction company to discuss what the town wants to be done.
• Mayor Rick Hensley informed the board that the Rockett building where Old Fort Mountain Music was needs to have some improvements made.
• Hensley is going to coordinate the EPA and Wildlife Commission on putting a pump house in to operate Andrews Geyser. He is looking into getting grant money for the project.
• Pyles informed the board that Lynn Russell, maintenance supervisor, is retiring in January. Lytle made a motion to take applications for the position and to ask all applicants to provide copies of certifications. The board approved the motion unanimously.
• Pyles asked the board to talk to the property owner at Big Boys about cleaning up around the building because neighbors are complaining. The board agreed for the mayor and aldermen to talk to them about the complaint.
• Pyles has had complaints from neighbors about a property on Bat Cave Road for a smell coming from a building where cats are living. Pyles contacted the health department and building inspector’s office. The board suggested Pyles make another attempt to meet with the property owner, and if not successful, then turn it over to the police department.
• Pyles wants the water to be disconnected to the Old Ethan Allen building. Lytle made the motion to have maintenance disconnect the water. The board approved the motion unanimously.
• Lytle made a motion to go into closed session to discuss a personnel matter. The board approved the motion unanimously.
The next Board of Aldermen meeting is set for Sept. 15 at 5:30 p.m. in the board room of the Old Fort Town Hall.