UPDATE: One dead, two injured in apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 3:21 pm | Updated: 7:32 pm, Fri Feb 7, 2014.

A 12-year-old boy is dead and two other people have been transported to Spartanburg in critical/life threatening condition, authorities said.

On Friday, emergency personnel received a call reporting a possible cardiac arrest with carbon monoxide involved at 21 Chippendale Drive, in Nebo.

At the scene, responders found one 12-year-old child dead and another 9-year-old child and a 29-year-old man, identified by the Sheriff's Office as Timothy Carl Bartlett Jr., unresponsive.

“On our arrival, we found one subject lying on the front porch, another subject was rescued from the residence and another individual was pronounced dead inside the residence,” said EMS Deputy Director Eugene Edwards at the scene. “Mission was unable to fly today, so MedCenter Air out of Charlotte has been called in to transport the victims.”

Two helicopters landed at Nebo Crossing Church.

Investigators from the McDowell County Sheriff’s Office with assistance from the State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) Crime Scene Division began trying to piece together what happened.

Lt. Chris Taylor of the McDowell County Sheriff’s Office led Friday’s investigation and shared what information he could about the case, including the fact that carbon monoxide had been detected in the home.

“There were high levels of CO found in the house,” said Taylor, adding that more information would be available once the investigation was complete.

As of Friday afternoon at 4:30, investigators were working on a search warrant to further continue their investigation inside of the house.

“We’re taking our time and we’ll find out what caused this 12-year-old to pass,” said Taylor.