Multiple fire crews rushed to a structure fire on Buck Creek Road near Elliott’s Trout Pond early Wednesday morning. According to Travis Piercy of the P.G. Volunteer Fire Department, when they arrived on the scene there were heavy flames from one end of the house to the other.
The owner of the house, Spencer Elliott, was not at home when the blaze started. Neighbors heard an explosion, saw the flames coming from the house and alerted emergency officials. There were no reported injuries.
Elliott’s brother, Larry Elliott, lives next door and heard the explosion around 6:45 a.m.
“Flames were rolling out of the front porch and the power line was on fire,” said Larry.
Piercy stated the flames were intense and had engulfed the house when firefighters arrived. He added about 30 firefighters from several stations were on the scene.
“There was a live power line on fire which limited us, but we pulled water from the creek at Locust Cove,” Piercy told The McDowell News. “South Toe (Fire Department) was called out to help, and they were able to set up in the ponds and the majority of the water came from there.”
Larry said that Spencer lived alone in the four-bedroom house and that all of his valuables were damaged.
“We’ve just had a bad year, and if it weren’t for neighbors, friends and family we wouldn’t be standing here in front of a burnt house. At least I can still go hug my brother,” Larry said Wednesday.
Emergency Management Director Terry Young said the cause has yet to be determined.
Marion, Old Fort, P.G., Woodlawn and South Toe fire departments were initially called to the fire on Buck Creek Road. Manpower from Hankins-North Fork, Nebo, Glenwood, Crooked Creek and Buncombe County fire departments also assisted. McDowell Rescue Squad and McDowell EMS also responded.