Mobile home destroyed in fire

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Firefighters are still trying to determine what caused an unoccupied home in Nebo to catch fire Monday evening.

Around 6:30 p.m., Nebo, Glenwood, Marion and Hankins fire departments were called out to a structure fire at 51 Blount Way in Nebo. The McDowell Rescue Squad and McDowell County EMS also assisted at the scene.

According to Mike Fulbright, assistant fire chief of Nebo, when crews arrived, the mobile home was fully involved, along with an addition that had been built on. Fulbright also said a wooded area behind the house caught on fire. Crews were able to contain the fire and no injuries were reported.

The house had been vacant for about six months, according to the property owner, Bobby Hicks. He said the home had been broken into a couple times. When he arrived Tuesday morning to assess the damage, he noticed the washer and dryer were missing.

He believes someone might have come in to the house to cut copper wire, possibly leaving it exposed and vulnerable to start a fire. He said a neighbor called 911 when she noticed the flames.

“The lid to the power box should have been on when it burnt up and it was off, so that tells me somebody was messing with the power box,” said Hicks. “The neighbor said she saw three males walking down the driveway to the road right before the fire started.”

Hicks said he just glad that no one was in the house when the fire started and is unaware of any electrical issues the house had.