Q: I have several questions regarding the “Real ID” identification that will soon be required in certain situations.


Answer: We ran your questions by Patrice Bethea, a spokeswoman with the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles. Here are your questions and her responses:

  • Who needs a Real ID? “Frequent flyers and visitors to military bases, nuclear power plants, and federal facilities where identification is required.”
  • What is the deadline for getting a Real ID? “Residents are encouraged to get their Real ID now. The federal enforcement date begins Oct. 1, 2020.”
  • Where can I get a Real ID? “Real IDs can be obtained in any driver license office. Residents can get it when they renew their license/ID card (six months before expiration) or before they renew for the cost of a duplicate ($13).”

She recommended you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV office.

  • What documentation is needed to get a Real ID? (specific examples would help)

Required documents are:

  • One proof of identity: birth certificate or a valid, unexpired U.S. passport.
  • One proof of Social Security Number: Social Security card or W-2 with full name and Social Security number.
  • Two documents with your current address: your N.C. Driver’s license; your N.C. vehicle registration card; a current utility bill; a bank statement; or school records.

“It is important for readers to understand that they need all of these documents,” Bethea said. “We don’t want them to think they only need one of the documents listed and not bring ALL the documentation to the office.”

Additionally, if your name is different than your birth certificate or passport, you will also need to bring a document that verifies the name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court document, or Register of Deeds document.

If you were not born in the U.S., you will need to bring one of the below documents that verifies your legal presence or lawful status: a consular report of birth abroad; a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card; an unexpired Employment Authorization Document; an unexpired foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. visa and I-94 Record; a certificate of citizenship; or a certificate of naturalization.

Restaurant List

On Saturday, SAM will be running a list of restaurants we have heard from that will be open on Christmas Day. Owners or managers who want to be included on the list should send us an email at Include your address, hours, and whether reservations are recommended or required.


“I want to thank the very caring, wonderful ladies that were helpful to me when I had a bad fall at the HomeGoods parking lot. Thank you for the prayers. All my tests were negative. May God’s blessings be with each one of you.” — E.B.

Get the daily newsletter in your inbox each morning with today's top stories.



Write: Ask SAM, P.O. Box 3159, Winston-Salem, NC 27102 

Recommended for you