A kitchen fire resulted in extensive damage to a Marion home on Monday afternoon.

At 3:30 p.m., fire and emergency units responded to 51 W. Yancey St. in Marion after receiving reports of a structure fire in progress. Upon arrival, units found visible flames and heavy smoke coming from the outside of the single-story home.

Tracy Lindsey, one of four residents inside the home, claims that the fire originated from the kitchen while cooking.

“There’s a kerosene leak by the modular heater, it smelled like it, and I was cooking some French fries in a pot, and the flame got to hot and the grease spilled and it just blew up,” said Lindsey. “I didn’t know it could blow up like that, unless it was the fumes from the kerosene heater. But we’ll figure it out once they’re done investigating.”

According to Lindsey, everyone inside the home evacuated prior to the arrival of fire departments.

“I lost everything,” said Lindsey. “Christmas – I just bought Christmas presents and we were preparing to move into this trailer over here, and it’s just gone.”

According to Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal, first glance observation of the inside the home is considered a “total loss” with fire and smoke damage, however agencies are still investigating how far the flames spread and what directly caused the fire.

Marion, Glenwood, P.G. and Sugar Hill-Montford Cove Fire Departments, McDowell EMS, McDowell Rescue Squad and the Marion Police Department responded to the incident.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.