At approximately 5:37 p.m. Friday, emergency units responded to Heritage Hill Apartments in Marion in response to a structure fire in progress. According to Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal, the blaze, which was contained to a storage closet on the property, started due to smoking materials dropped in or around the carpet of the doorway, resulting in $5,000-10,000 in damages. No injuries were reported and surrounding apartments suffered only smoke damage. The American Red Cross was notified following the incident, according to Neal.

DUSTIN CHANDLER/MCDOWELL NEWS