Further details have emerged in the kitchen fire that destroyed a West Marion home on Monday afternoon and donation efforts to help the family recover.

At 3:30 p.m. on Monday, fire and emergency units responded to 51 W. Yancey St. in Marion after receiving reports of a structure fire in progress. Upon arrival, units found visible flames and heavy smoke coming from the outside of the single-story home.

Tracy Lindsey, one of four residents inside the home with her daughter and two grandchildren, said the fire originated from the kitchen while cooking.

“There’s a kerosene leak by the modular heater, it smelled like it, and I was cooking some French fries in a pot, and the grease got too hot and it spilled and it just blew up,” said Lindsey. “I didn’t know it could blow up like that, unless it was the fumes from the kerosene heater. But we’ll figure it out once they’re done investigating.”

According to Lindsey, everyone inside the home evacuated prior to the arrival of fire departments.

“I lost everything,” said Lindsey. “Christmas – I just bought Christmas presents and we were preparing to move into this trailer over here, and it’s just gone.”

According to Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal, the inside the home has suffered extensive fire and smoke damage. Upon further investigation, the fire was deemed “accidental” in nature.

According to a post on the Marion Police Department’s Facebook page, the Lindsey family is currently staying in a hotel until living accommodations can be made. In-person donations can be dropped off at the Marion Walmart on Sugar Hill Road, organized by manager Renee Alley.

A Go-Fund-Me page has also been set up to help the Lindsey family meet recovery costs. To donate, go to https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-lindsey-family?fbclid=IwAR2kndxroHXX1TRX97KR2pVywkpYPrhtY0CPPy0uewR13h2d65KKIOoMTPc.

Marion, Glenwood, P.G. and Sugar Hill-Montford Cove Fire Departments, McDowell EMS, McDowell Rescue Squad, the Marion Police Department and American Red Cross responded to the incident.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.