Power pole breaks, injuring worker in Marion

An electrical worker in Marion has been transported to Mission Trauma Center in Asheville after being pinned underneath a power pole that fell. The downed lines sparked a grass fire.

An electrical worker in Marion was transported to Mission Trauma Center in Asheville after being pinned underneath a power pole that snapped while he was climbing it.

At around noon Wednesday, a contractor was working on a pole at 2208 Nix Creek Road in Marion. He was climbing up that pole when it broke. The pole then pinned that worker to the ground, according to Emergency Management Director William Kehler.

The worker was transported by McDowell EMS to Mission Trauma Center with serious injuries. His name was not available at deadline.

In addition, the power lines from that pole were still live. The lines caused a grass fire, which burned about a quarter of an acre. The fire was quickly contained and it didn’t burn any other property, said Assistant Fire Chief Corey Presnell with the Marion Fire Department.

McDowell EMS, Marion Fire Department, Sugar Hill/Montford Cove Fire Department, McDowell Rescue Squad, McDowell Emergency Management and the North Carolina Forest Service responded to this accident. Crews from Duke Energy also responded to repair the pole and power lines.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.