Commissioners thank first responders

MIKE CONLEY/MCDOWELL NEWS

At their most recent meeting, the McDowell County Commissioners thanked the first responders who were on the scene of a small fire in the basement of the courthouse during the afternoon of Saturday, June 29.

At their most recent meeting, the McDowell County Commissioners thanked the first responders who were on the scene of a small fire in the basement of the courthouse during the afternoon of Saturday, June 29.

At that time, a room in the courthouse’s basement burned due to a malfunctioning air conditioner. While there was some damage, the destruction could have been much worse if not for the efforts of the responding agencies, county officials said.

Firefighters found the fire (which was contained to one room) and quickly put it out. In addition, they responded to a natural gas leak across the street and much of downtown was evacuated that afternoon. South Main Street was closed for two hours during this fire and gas leak incident.

At the Monday, July 8 meeting, representatives of those agencies were invited so county officials could thank them in person for their response. The Marion Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Glenwood, Hankins-North Fork, Pleasant Gardens and Woodlawn departments as well as McDowell County EMS and McDowell Rescue.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.

Recommended for you