Marion woman will serve 8 months for 2016 break-in: Suspect broke into home of police chief

Misty Dawn Anthony

A Marion woman charged last June with breaking into the home of the Old Fort police chief was sentenced to at least eight months in prison.

Misty Dawn Anthony, 38, of 1566 Goose Creek Road, Marion, was found guilty of felony breaking and entering, felony larceny after breaking and entering and assault on a government official or employee. She was sentenced eight to 19 months in prison. She was given credit for 240 days time served.

Anthony was also found guilty of the following: assault on a government official or employee, for which she was sentenced to 150 days in jail and given credit for 114 days time served; and felony breaking or entering a motor vehicle, for which she was given a six- to 17- month suspended sentence. She must serve 60 months of supervised probation. She must pay $6,074.75 restitution to the victim. She must not have contact with the victim. She must pay a court-appointed attorney $2,190. She must pay court costs.

On June 23, 2016, Old Fort Police Chief Melvin Lytle received a phone call while at work saying someone had broken into his home on Keaton Drive. At the time of the intrusion, Lytle’s 10-year-old daughter was inside the house, and hid in her bedroom as the suspect rummaged through her belongings.

According to Lytle, he arrived to find Anthony in his daughter’s room. He called for backup and a struggle ensued with the suspect. Officer Steven Corns of Old Fort Police Department responded to the call and attempted to Taser Anthony.

Lytle said the suspect had entered the home by breaking the sliding glass door.

Upon Anthony’s arrest, Capt. Shanon Smith of the McDowell Sheriff’s Office said Anthony was wearing clothing she had stolen from the residence. It was also discovered that Anthony had broken into Lytle’s 2002 GMC Yukon with the intent to commit larceny.

According to reports, Anthony had struck Lytle and the arresting officers with her fists and refused to be fingerprinted at the jail.

Lytle was treated for injuries to his hand by McDowell EMS. His daughter was not injured.

Anthony was taken into custody under a $95,000 bond and indicted in September. Prior to this incident, Anthony’s conviction record dates back to the mid-90s with multiple charges of resisting arrest, breaking and entering, larceny and assault on a government official.

Ginny Rhodes contributed to this article.