Man escapes from burning RV

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:28 pm

A Marion man made a lucky escape when his camper caught fire on Fourth Street in Marion around 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

When crews arrived, the 1972 Dodge camper, owned by Tommy Cantrell of Fourth Street, was engulfed in flames, including a gas can sitting nearby.

Cantrell said the motor is right next to the steering wheel, which was where he was sitting when the camper caught fire. He said it might have had a gas leak.

“A fellow wanted to buy it and it hadn’t been started in a while, so I started it up and it exploded,” said Cantrell.

Cantrell suffered no injuries.

Marion Fire Chief Jim Neal said the fire was the result of a mechanical failure and it was strictly accidental.

Crews with the Marion Fire Department, Glenwood Fire Department, and first responders were on the scene.